Monday, June 23, 2008

Weekend Update

Here are a few things that are rolling around in my brain after the weekend.

-- It's been a while since I've spoken at two worship gatherings on a Sunday morning. Since I don't do it very often, I forget how much adrenaline you have going between the two gatherings. I also forget how much of a strain talking for 30-40 minutes straight can be on your voice. I was sounding kind of hoarse about noon yesterday. For those who were there, every word of the dishwasher story is true as best as I can remember it almost 15 years later.

-- We (Marjorie and I) headed to Charlotte yesterday to enjoy lunch with a couple that were a part of our student ministry team at Eastern Hills Church when we on staff there. We met at an Italian restaurant (Angela's) just around the corner from our old house. The food was good (I had Chicken parm and Marjorie had something with eggplant in it) but it was even better to hang out with friends that we've known for over 13 years. Their kids were in my youth group. Their oldest just finished her third year of teaching at an elementary school. Their youngest will be finishing up at UNC-G next year. Here's a picture of their youngest (Abe) when he was in a band called Philmont. He's the second from the left.

-- I watched the NASCAR race from beginning to end yesterday. I know a lot of people find road courses boring. While there wasn't a lot of passing up front (ok, really there was none), I enjoy watching the racing back in the pack a lot. Even though Kyle Busch won, I was happy to see Jr finish in the top 12 and Gordon get all the way up to 3rd after a horrendous first part of the race.

-- The above item is for Will.

-- My family loves to play games together. Actually, Elizabeth hates it. So while she's gone to Louisville, KY on a mission trip, we spent some time Saturday and Sunday night playing some games. Saturday, Marjorie took Victoria and me to the woodshed playing cards. Marjorie won the first 5 hands we played before Victoria won the last two. I was shut out. Then last night, Victoria took me at Connect Four. She beat me 4-2 in a best of 7. If Connect 4 were an Olympic game, I'd be pushing Victoria toward a gold medal.

-- Entertainment Weekly landed in my mailbox on Saturday. It's an entire "best of" issue for the past 25 years. Yes, that's correct, top 100 lists of movies, tv shows, music, pop culture events and more. My head almost exploded. I put the issue away until I can have an entire day to deconstruct each list. I don't think I'll be able to fit it all into one blog. Actually, I may have to create an entirely new blog just for this issue of EW.

-- We have an incredibly important meeting this Sunday morning at 11:45 in the Apex. Please be in prayer about it as we get ready for it. Also, talk it up with your friends and encourage them to be there.

-- Peace, Jamie

No comments: