Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Community

Tuesday nights are college Bible study nights. So I pulled into the Platt's driveway at 7:09 last night ready to begin week one with a bunch of college students, Margaret Feinberg, and her book, The Organic God. After some snack and chill time, we began about 7:45. It was an awesome time of discussion, laughter, and some debate (do organic energy bars taste like they smell?). It's so cool to be around people who have a desire to seek God, to admit their own weaknesses, to ask tough questions, and to be honest about their struggles. The Bible study went until about 9:30. Then we had some more hang out time.

About 11:00, I walked out of Hunter and Allison's house and stood in their driveway mesmerized by the night sky. The moon hadn't risen yet and there's not too much light pollution out that way so you could see the stars and planets. After a few minutes discussing my very limited knowledge of the night skies, I hopped in the car and headed home.

Home. It's usually a place that I want to be. But tonight, at 11:20, I walked into an empty house. Marjorie and Victoria were at her parents. Elizabeth was in Louisville, KY. I was alone(Dude, I miss my girls!) and the house felt empty after the past four hours.

All of which made me think of how we are created for community, to be with other people, to enjoy the experiences and interactions we have with others. Some people live alone and come home to an empty house or apartment each day. That makes the time that we have with others even more important. That makes the Tuesday night Bible study or the Wednesday movie night or the Thursday game night or the Sunday school class even more important for us.

Whether we live alone or with family or with a roommate, community doesn't happen just because we're around other people. Community happens when we come together for a purpose and encourage one another in our walk with Christ and empathize with each other and pray for each other and . . . well, you get the picture.

My prayer for FBC in general and Reveal in particular is that it is a place where people truly experience community, where people are accepted and loved, where people are encouraged and where people linger after Bible studies and game nights and worship gatherings because they enjoy the company of the people around them.

-- Peace, Jamie

PS - If you picked up my copy of The Organic God last night by accident, I'd love to have it back. I have your book at my office. I'll gladly make a trip by your house to exchange it. Thanks!

1 comment:

Margaret Feinberg said...

Jamie,

Love that you have food and plenty of hang out time (and people that are up for you guys to hang at their place) as you go through the Organic God.

Feel free to email me if you want to discuss a certain thought or topic with me.

Blessings,
Margaret