Saturday, June 7, 2008

Amos 5:21-24

More from The Complete Worship Leader by Kevin J. Navarro.

"Deep in the souls  of many Christians is the idea that worship is the music part of the service that precedes the sermon.  They talk as if worship only prepares people for the message.  Many believe that only forty minutes of uninterrupted, free-flowing worship will get them into the presence of God.  Others believe that we need to have the hymns of the faith to get into the presence of God.  If a person is living in disobedience, he or she will not be able to come into his presence in forty minutes.  We have put more emphasis on the form of worship than on the function of worship." (p. 139)
 
The Old Testament Prophet Amos says it this way (Amos 5:21-24, The Message):
"I can't stand your religious meetings.  I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.  I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals.  I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making.  I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.  When was the last time you sang to me?  Do you know what I want?  I want justice - oceans of it.  I want fairness - rivers of it.  That's what I want.  That's all I want."

We all need to examine our own hearts before God.  We need to make sure that we are doing this service for the right reasons.  What we don't want to become is the pharisees of 2008.

--Will

No comments: