Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Greatest Summer Songs

Back to my addiction to lists, I was over at EW once again and ran across the top 25 Summer Songs (there's actually 100 but I didn't have time to go through the entire list.) I can't comment on all of them because I'm apparently into Spring and Fall songs more than summer and some of the songs that I think should be in the top 25 are probably somewhere in the top 100. Again, I just didn't have the time to look (translation: I'll probably look at the other 75 later this week.)

Here are some highlights:

  • # 25 Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John and Kiki Dee: I actually have this as my one of my favorite Elton songs (because really who knows another song by Kiki Dee). I remember this one because Valerie Bertinelli and MacKenzie Phillips sang it on One Day at a Time. I could see either Philadelphia Freedom or Little Jeannie replacing this song but I can't really say that I totally disagree with it.

  • #24 (They Long to Be) Close to You - The Carpenters: Maybe there's a contextual thing that I'm missing. I just don't really care for the Carpenters.

  • #22 Every Breath You Take - The Police: Anytime an 80's song shows up I'm going to have a pretty strong opinion. While I love this song, for summer listening I'm throwing in Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, followed by Message in a Bottle.

  • #21 Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys: Pick any BB song and put it on this list. This one's good enough. Low-key, smooth, easy to listen to, it's a good song to listen to while you walk down the beach at night with the love of your life.

  • #20 Wipe Out - The Surfaris: If you've heard it, you know at #20, it's probably not high enough. You can almost hear the surf and smell the suntan lotion when this one comes on.

  • #17 Maggie May - Rod Stewart: My bias will show here. Any list that includes Rod Stewart in its top 20 stinks! This list, obviously, stinks.

  • #14 I Get Around - The Beach Boys: There are so many other Beach Boys songs that I would put here - Surfin Safari, Fun, Fun, Fun, Barbara Ann, Good Vibrations. That said, I Get Around is a good song. But for a summer list, I would choose one of the others.

  • #11 Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran: If you like 50s music, this is a great song. If you don't, skip it. It has a great hook regardless.

  • #10 Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones: While many people may have debated Stones vs. Beatles, there would be no debate in my house. The Rolling Stones are the Cal Ripken of rock bands. Part of their greatness is their longevity. Their music has never been great for me. All of which means that this song is rated too high here.

  • #8 Borderline - Madonna: There aren't many Madonna songs that I like but this one I love. This one and Crazy For You. I think this is a unique song for this list. Maybe that's why I like it here.

  • #7 Dancing in the Street - Martha and the Vandellas: Probably like many of my contemporaries, I was introduced to this song by Van Halen. Unlike many of my contemporaries, I like this version better. Really, what says summer more than this song.

  • #5 Under the Boardwalk - The Drifters: Ok, maybe this one does. Great song to listen to as you're eating an ice cream cone and walking on a pier somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.

  • #2 California Girls - The Beach Boys: Again, Van Halen introduced me to this song. Unlike DitS, I like the Van Halen version better.

  • #1 Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoonful: Uh, never heard it. Maybe I should head over to itunes and check it out.

For my money, here are a few songs that could have made the list - YMCA, Village People; Cruel Summer, Bananarama; Come Monday, Jimmy Buffet; Summer of 69, Bryan Adams and Streetcorner Symphony, Rob Thomas. Let me know what songs say "Summer" to you.


-- Peace, Jamie

2 comments:

RGT said...

"Centerfield' - John Fogerty
"Calin' Baton Rouge" - Garth Brooks
'Wild Montana Skies" - John Denver
"Boy's of Summer" - Don Henley
"Cheap Seats" - Alabama
"Down on the Farm" - Stache and Hawk (got to check out their site, awesome! http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=149067936) you can listen to a couple of their other songs there, "Wally Pipp" is another good one.

as far as J. Buffett, got to go with "Ragtop Day" or "The weather is here, wish you were beautiful"

little baseball theme, but nothing is more summer than the american pastime. and an FYI, the most played songs - "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", "Happy Birthday", and "the Star Spangled Banner". come July 4th, i hear the national anthem and know that two-a-days and opening kickoff are just around the corner.

reveal at fbc said...

Good call on Centerfield and Boys of Summer. As far as Buffet goes, well, that list is about endless (Son of a Son of a Sailor, Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, A Pirate Looks at Forty). How about Love and Luck or Volcano? I'll have to check out Stache and Hawk when I get the chance.

And of course, we know that summer is just a prelude to the best season of the year - football season. Although I think Ryan and I will differ on which football season - pro or college - is more entertaining!

Peace!